Built as the Allen Theatre for movies in 1921 at what is now 698 Ste-Catherine, between McGill College Ave. and University St. Its architect, C. Howard Crane, designed other theatres in Canada and the U.S. Highly decorated interior with columns, marble stairways, crystal chandeliers and paintings. Redecorated by Emmanuel Briffa in 1928 when it became the Palace, with Greek-inspired statues, a central dome and tile mosaics. Showed the city’s first sound pictures. Gutted and subdivided into multiple cinemas in 1980. Most recently a hamburger restaurant.
©2017 The Past Whispers
All Rights Reserved