The Imperial Theatre opened on April 26, 1913 in downtown Montreal, Quebec. It had a seating capacity of 2,300.
In 1934, the Imperial Theatre was rented to Leo Ernest Ouimet and in 1936, RKO Radio Pictures sold the movie house to Consolidated Theatres.
In 1950, the Imperial Theatre was first renovated and was altered again for Cinerama in 1954.
In 1970, it was sold to Cinema International and was renamed the Cine Centre in 1974. The theater was twinned in 1975 and was renamed the Imperial Theatre in 1976.
In 1980, United Theatres (part of Famous Players) repurchased the Imperial and it was restored and reopened in 1981.
In 1986, the Imperial Theatre became the first cinema in Quebec to receive THX certification. It was donated to the Montreal Film Festival in 1995 by Famous Players.
The Cinema Imperial currently seats 819, and is still a true “Cinema Treasure”.
©2017 The Past Whispers
All Rights Reserved