The CPR St-Jovite Station in the Laurentians, north of Montreal, looks abandoned in this view from an old 1970s postcard, judging by the semaphores, now removed. St-Jovite, which has now merged with the village of Mt-Tremblant, is situated about 130 km (± 80 miles)north of Montreal.
The first train arrived at St-Jovite in 1893 after the CPR purchased the Quebec, Montreal, Ottawa and Occidental Railway (QMO&O) and extended the line. First a colonization railway, the line started to serve skiers when Herman Smith Johanssen (aka "Jack Rabbit") introduced cross-country skiing between railway stations. For many years thereafter, "Le P'tit train du Nord" (loose translation – The little train to the North Country) carried skiers in winter and cottagers in summer, first by steam than by RDC.
In 1990, the rails were removed and turned into a hiking trail, while the station was purchased and transported to a nearby location, then completely spruced up and turned into an Italian restaurant with a railway theme. View photos of the refurbished station at http://www.restaurantantipasto.com/en/.
One of the views shows the station in the early 1900s.
©2017 The Past Whispers
All Rights Reserved