Friday, July 21, 2017

Gayety Theatre


gayety1The building which housed the Gayety Theatre, was designed by the architects firm of Ross and MacFarlane, for the Canadian Amusement Company. The building with its balcony and gallery gallery, featured seating for 1600 guests. It became one of Montreal’s first landmarks of public entertainment. Opening its doors on in 1912, the Gayety offered American Vaudeville, a popular form of entertainment at the time of the Great Depression. It saw packed crowds of not only men but women and children. Vaudeville disappeared around 1929 and the theatre became a movie house for a number of years, before becoming one of the most popular cabarets iin Montreal.


During Prohibition in the USA, Montreal businessman Samuel Bronfman, founder of Distillers Corporation Limited was the importer of Seagram’s Canadian Whiskey, and Montreal became the destination for Americans looking for a drink and other pleasures. Burlesque houses, variety theatres and jazz clubs thrived during this era. Gambling and prostitution, unrivaled in North America, earned Montreal the nickname “Sin City”. The Gayety Theatre featured burlesque artists like Gypsy Rose and exotic dancer Lily St-Cyr, considered the “Queen of Strippers” in the 1940s and 1950s. She often performed topless, and was one of Montreal’s main cultural attractions, taking in an average of $5000 a week, an amount unheard of at the time. Her performances included erotic versions of classical stories, oriental fantasies of harems and sex slaves, and scenarios set in bathrooms and bedrooms. She performed her last show in March 1957. By the late 1940s, the Gayety Theatre along with other clubs of Montreal’s red light district, became associated with organized crime and corruption.

In 1950, lawyer (and later Montreal mayor) Jean Drapeau and former police chief and lawyer Pax Plante along with other political and religious individuals formed “La Comite de Moralite Publique”, a morality squad that promised to rid Montreal of gambling, prostitution and corruption, much of which was centered around the red light district. They imposed harsh curfews and closing times, which caused many of the cabarets to shut down, including the Gayety Theatre which closed its doors in 1953. From 1953 to 1956, it was known as Radio City.

In 1956, Canadian author, playwright, actor, director, and producer Gratien Gélinas, who is considered one of the founders of modern Canadian theatre and film. bought the theater. It became the Comédie Canadienne, a French theater that featured shows with performers like Gilles Vigneault, Monique Leyrac, Claude Léveillée, Jacques Brel, Barbara and Serge Reggiani. In 1972, the Théâtre du Nouveau Monde, bought the building and is the current owner. The TNM is a theatre company and venue, featuring national and international classic plays.

The building is located at 84 rue Sainte-Catherine West in Montreal.

courtesy – Montreal Times


©2017 The Past Whispers
All Rights Reserved

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Tall Ships in Québec City from July 18 to 23, 2017



Atyla
Appledore V
Alexander Von Humboldt II
Black Jack
Blue Clipper
Bluenose II
Bowdoin
Denis Sullivan
Eagle
El Galeon
Empire Sandy
Esmeralda
Europa
Fair Jeanne
Geronimo
Gulden Leeuw
Jolie Brise
Lord Nelson
Mist of Avalon
Niagara
Oosterschelde
Oriole
Pathfinder
Peter von Danzig
Picton Castle
Playfair
Rara Avis
Regina Germania
Rona II
Roter Sand
Spirit of South Carolina
Spaniel
St Lawrence II
Vahine
When and If
Wylde Swan


©2017 The Past Whispers
All Rights Reserved

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

St. Romuald De Farnham Catholic Church


erez

est. 1847


My mother was christened at this church on 24th Of June 1928

©2017 The Past Whispers
All Rights Reserved

Monday, July 3, 2017

Niagra-On-The-Lake

More than 40 Tall Ships will be sailing Canadian waters to honour the 150th anniversary of the Canadian Confederation in 2017. 

They are scheduled to stop at host ports in Ontario, Québec and the Maritimes, giving thousands of people the opportunity to admire the majestic beauty of these cathedrals of the seas.

Tall Ships in Niagara-on-the-lake from July 3 to 4, 2017
Mist of Avalon

Denis Sullivan




(c)2017 The Past Whispers
 All Rights Reserved

Thursday, June 22, 2017

The Theaters of Ste. Catherine St.–His Majesty’s Theatre


BANQ_Mass_2_158_e_Theatre_His_Majestys


Guy St., just north of Ste-Catherine, where Concordia University’s engineering, computer science and visual arts complex stands today. Built as Her Majesty's Theatre in 1897-98 during the reign of Queen Victoria, the name changed to "His" in 1901 under a new king of England, and the name would change once again in 1952 with the accession of Queen Elizabeth II. A stage theatre with vaudeville, opera, ballet and theatre and that also showed movies at least as early as 1918. Sarah Bernhardt performed here, as did Lon Chaney. The theatre was demolished in 1963.


©2017 The Past Whispers
All Rights Reserved

Monday, June 19, 2017

The Theaters of Ste. Catherine Street


In the early 20th century, Ste-Catherine St. was abuzz with cinemas, concert halls and theatres. Today, most of them have vanished, and many of the original buildings have been razed and replaced with not so much as a plaque to mark this vanished era. From west to east, here are some of the theatres that once lined the street.

Seville Theatre

The theater, designed by Cajetan L. Dufort (full name Louis-Joseph Cajetan Dufort, also the architect of the Corona Theater), was built in 1929 - just five years after the nearby Montreal Forum - in a then -bustling part of downtown Montreal. Its interior was designed by Emmanuel Briffa.

The Seville was a single-screen, 1148 seat theater and one of only 15 atmospheric theaters ever built in Canada. Its exterior had a Spanish theme (hence the name Seville) with its ceiling painted to resemble a night sky with sparkling stars. There was an additional mechanism in place that could be turned on to give the appearance of clouds moving across the sky. The theater was built with shops in the front, including an ice cream parlor on the east side and a drugstore on the west.

Opened in 1929 at Ste-Catherine and Chomedey Sts. One of the United Amusement chain’s neighbourhood double-bill movie houses.

Interior decorated by Emmanuel Briffa. Became a concert hall in the 1940s, with performers including Tony Bennett, Nat “King” Cole and Harry Belafonte.

Operated as a repertory theatre for a decade before its developer-owner shut it down in 1984. It was left to fall into ruin. Its carcass was razed to make way for condos in 2010.



(c)2017 The Past Whispers

All Rights Reserved

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Rendez-Vous 2017 Tall Ships Regatta Race 3


All vessels taking part in Race 3 of the awesome Rendez-Vous 2017 Tall Ships Regatta have now left Bermuda. Following a delayed race start, the fleet crossed the start line within the 48-hour window and the impressive Tall Ships are now making their way through the beautiful warm waters of the Gulf Stream, toward Boston.

Here are the latest placings from Race 3 from Bermuda to Boston on Corrected Time:

  1. Jolie Brise (UK)
  2. When and If (USA)
  3. Europa (The Netherlands)
  4. Blue Clipper (UK)
  5. Pride of Baltimore II (USA)
  6. Oosterschelde (The Netherlands)
  7. Gulden Leeuw (The Netherlands)
  8. Atyla (Vanuatu)
  9. Alexander von Humbolt II (Germany)
  10. Vahine (Finland)
  11. Spirit of South Carolina (USA)
  12. Peter von Danzig (Germany)
  13. HMCS Oriole (Canada)
  14. Rona II (UK)
  15. Regina Germania (Germany)
  16. Spaniel (Latvia)

Note: Positions and placings are correct at time of writing. Check out YB Satellite Tracking for the latest information.


-courtesy Sail On Board

©2017 All Rights Reserved

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

La Malbaie


La_malbaieLa Malbaie is a municipality in the Charlevoix-Est Regional County Municipality in the province of Quebec, Canada, situated on the north shore of the Saint Lawrence River, at the mouth of the Malbaie River. It was formerly known as Murray Bay.
The development of tourism in this area is said to date back to 1760, when the Scottish feudal lords John Nairne and Malcolm Fraser began receiving visitors to the region at their estates.
The Fairmont Manoir Richelieu hotel and Casino de Charlevoix are both located in the neighbourhood and former municipality of Pointe-au-Pic.

In 1608, Samuel de Champlain visited the area. He could not find suitable anchorage for his ship in the bay and therefore named it Malle Baye (archaic French for "bad/poor bay"), a name further justified when during low tide the bay dried up and his ships ran aground.
In 1761, two Scottish officers of the British Army were attracted to the beauty of the place, and they each sought to obtain a concession. John Nairne (1731–1802) received the western shores of the Malbaie River, that he thereafter called the Seignory of Murray Bay that included the settlement of La Malbaie. Malcolm Fraser (1733–1815) was granted the eastern part that became the Seignory of Mount Murray. They also renamed the bay, the settlement, and river after James Murray (1721–1794), British General and successor of Wolfe. Although this name never received official approval, in the 18th and 19th centuries Murray Bay had become the internationally accepted toponym, but La Malbaie remained in local use.




Murray Bay wharf, circa 1912

In 1774, the Parish of Saint-Étienne was formed. In 1845, the place was first incorporated as the Municipality of La Malbaie, but it was abolished in 1847. It was reestablished in 1855 as the Parish Municipality of Saint-Étienne-de-Murray-Bay. In 1896, the village itself separated from the parish municipality and was incorporated as the Village Municipality of La Malbaie.

In 1957, Saint-Étienne-de-Murray-Bay was renamed to Saint-Etienne-de-la-Malbaie. A year later, the Village Municipality of La Malbaie changed status and became the Town of La Malbaie, that annexed the parish municipality in 1965.

On February 15, 1995, the Town of La Malbaie and the Village Municipality of Pointe-au-Pic merged to form the Town of La Malbaie–Pointe-au-Pic. On December 1, 1999, the Municipalities of Rivière-Malbaie and Saint-Fidèle, the Village Municipality of Cap-à-l'Aigle, the Parish Municipality of Sainte-Agnès, and the Town of La Malbaie–Pointe-au-Pic were amalgamated to form the new Town of La Malbaie.

La Malbaie is the seat of the judicial district of Charlevoix.

©2017 The Past Whispers
All Rights Reserved













Friday, May 26, 2017

Msit No’Kmaq Tall Ship Project

 

Are you ready for the opportunity of a lifetime?

Click graphic above

 

©2017 The Past Whispers
All Rights Reserved

Thursday, May 18, 2017

The 1903 Burning of the R&O Steamship ‘Montreal’

 

Montreal, Saturday evening, March 7, 1903

“There was never a more spectacular fire seen in Montreal,” reported The Gazette the following Monday. “The whole southern part of the city seemed afire. But greater than all of this were the solid phalanxes of people who stood massed along Commissioners street (today, Rue de la Commune) from Jacques Cartier to Custom House squares. People were everywhere. They crowded over the flood wall, and filled up the open space on the wharves, as if they were intent on witnessing some great sacrifice……Between heaven  and earth leaped the flames, and so great was the light on the 20,000 faces in front, that they all looked like a living picture, with old Mount Royal for a dark background.”                                         

The conflagration referred to was not, unlike the Longue Pointe fire of May 1890 on the periphery of the city but instead, this time, in its very harbour, only a short and dangerous distance from the populated areas.

It was a cold and damp late winter evening now well over a hundred years ago when, at 8:55 P.M., assistant-superintendent James Ferns, who was associated with the alarm department at the old Montreal City Hall (destroyed by fire in 1922), first spotted high from that building’s tower a bright reflection from the direction of the river. He ran to a window with a hand telescope and took about a minute to make out more or less what was burning. Suspicious of its origin, he immediately rang the alarm but, unfortunately, it was far too late. The virtually completed R.&O. Steamship ‘The Montreal’ was already totally engulfed in flames while docked along side the King Edward Pier in this city’s waterfront. Only seven minutes later did the first alarm come in from the outside and, by that time, the ship was aflame from stem to stern.

The magnificent Toronto-built craft was to be the pride and joy of The Richelieu and Ontario Navigation Company, perhaps the queen of its class on the continent. It was constructed by the Bertram Shipbuilding Company of that same city and was considered to be “the finest craft ever built in Canada”. Yet it was plagued with problems from its very inception. No less than seven strikes interrupted its progress in construction. It is even said that the bottle meant to christen ‘The Montreal’ missed the target as the vessel was first launched from the shipyard near Bathhurst Street. Nevertheless, as the “floating palace” entered the waters, it took to them, reported La Presse, with the agility of a duck! It eventually steamed down river to Montreal, suffering some relatively-insignificant damage as it voyaged through the Lachine Rapids. It was subsequently decided to transfer the vessel from Montreal to Sorel for the minor repairs and for the final painting and furnishing of the vessel. Another strike, however (the Montreal men felt they should be paid more for working in Sorel), caused the owners to move the steamer back to Montreal where it floated in this city’s harbour for the winter of 1902-1903. 

The day following the fire, The Montreal Star reported that the blaze made a “splendid spectacle”. Writing of the ship, which was insured for $400,000, the account continued: “Her fine proportions showed up as if in gorgeous tints on the blackness of the night; her smoke stacks, white with the heat, stood, tall and erect, in the midst of the fiery mass, and at the top a wisp of dark coloured smoke curled lazily upward and floated slowly away into the darkness.”

“The glare lit up the city and showed thousands along the waterfront watching the progress of the fire; it shone out over the ice and on the shed where, warm and comfortable, spectators who had gained their position after great exertions, gazed upon the scene.”

Montreal Fire Chief Zephirin Benoit commented the following evening that the ‘Montreal’ was doomed “before the firemen ever reached the scene” and that the only thing left to do “was to save the sheds of the Allan Steamship Company” from destruction as well. Indeed, those sheds before the night was over would provide yet another element to the tragedy of that evening.

Along the west side of the Alexandra wharf, there were no fewer than four freight sheds to be climbed upon for a superior view of the spectacular fire which raged in the Montreal harbour. Police attempted to control the crowd -composed of mostly boys and young men- but without success as they seemingly all headed to one shed in particular. The one-storey unclad structure was owned by the Allan Line and stood only about a hundred feet from the burning vessel, itself about 1500 feet from the nearest spot accessible to the fire engines. “They seemed to be mad,” said Constable  J. E. Huot of 109 Panet Street. “I tried my best to keep the people from getting on the shed, but it was no use. They were bound to get on it.” The officer continued, almost lamenting, “I did not take to club them for if I had the accident would not have, perhaps, happened, but I should have been hauled over the coals for using a club. So, there you are!”

The fire raged fiercely out of control. There were, in 1903, no hydrants on the wharves of the Port of Montreal. Further aggravating any attempt to deal with the violent inferno was the unfortunate fact that, it being the weekend, the gates which separated the harbour from Commissioner Street were locked shut. Despite this fact, even more individuals climbed over them and headed for the roof of that one same structure, which was known as the “Glasgow shed”. Onto it they ascended, jostling with one another for the best possible view. Finally, at the end, a veritable throng stood on the top of that one building – never constructed to endure such  a charge.

The accident to which Constable Huot had eluded finally occurred around 9:45 P.M. when suddenly, very suddenly, it was noticed that the greatly over-burdened structure began to sway. Many attempted to scramble to safety but it was too late. The shed first tottered and within  seconds collapsed like a house of cards. The disintegration started with the truss at the southeastern corner of the building and then spread to all of the rafters which in unison gave way. At the last, there was an ominous crash as gravity claimed its prize. It was surely a very terrifying moment for all involved.

Amidst the debris, there was human carnage beyond imagination. Moans, groans and shrieks could be heard throughout the site as those conscious and with only minor injuries tried to extricate themselves from the pile of wreckage which once composed the Allan Freight Shed. The Gazette reported that “a panic ensued. The big crowd settled back, those around the shed yelled, but many inside were silent, not dead, but insensible, with the beams across their chest.”

An eyewitness – a student from McGill – later recorded his observations. “I was attracted to the fire and had made my way out on to the tongue-like pier which juts out into the St. Lawrence.

I noticed about 300 people squatting on the skeleton roof of the shed, and thought at the time some of them would get a tumble because the frame was not sheeted and lacked therefore the proper strength. Still I only thought a few of the spars would break. What did happen was this. The crowd was trying to work down to the end near the burning ship, when the ridge beam gave way. The end wall supporting the whole of the long roof bulged out.”

The enormous effort to assist people was a joint one. Doctors, the military (army) medical corps, medical students, police all streamed to the catastrophic scene as rapidly as possible. It was quickly realized that the four ambulances and handful of doctors initially dispatched to the dire  site were woefully inadequate faced with the enormity of the mishap. A second call was made and 25 more physicians were sent to the harbour while police wagons and cabs were requisitioned to serve as ambulances. Some of the unfortunates were attended to at the scene while others were rushed to one of three Montreal hospitals: the Royal Victoria, the General (then at the intersection of Dorchester and St. Dominque), or Notre Dame, at that time located on Notre Dame, near Berri. Only one individual – Philias Paquin of 52 Dominion avenue – was taken with a fractured arm to the Western Hospital at the corner of Atwater and Dorchester.

One of the first horse-drawn ambulances and its heavy charge heading out to Notre Dame Hospital quickly broke down  on the hill on Bonsecour street  and the vehicle began to slide backward. Fortunately for its endangered  human cargo,  a large crowd of students was nearby. They immediately freed the horse from the ambulance and, with much energy and exertion, pulled and pushed the cart all the way to the hospital. It was not the first nor the last act of heroism that evening! There were, of course, the doctors and nurses about whom much could be written.

Below, Montreal General Hospital Ambulance, 1890

MontrealGeneralHospitalAmbulance1890

It was only logical that Notre Dame Hospital, being the closest of the three to the scene of the calamity, receive the greatest number of victims. They were also perhaps the best prepared in the sense that one of their doctors – H. A. Maillet – had actually witnessed the collapse of the shed and quickly alerted his hospital. It was, therefore, not long before the horse drawn ambulances began to arrive at that institution. Many individuals, after minor repairs, left the facility before their name and address (for billing purposes?) could be recorded. Others, many others, because of the gravity of their injuries were forced to stay. A total of 48 patients were cared for that unhappy evening by Doctors Fleury, St. Pierre, Ouimet, Leduc, Derome, and Beauchamp. The latter had divided themselves into two groups, one serving as a kind of triage while the other worked in the operating room. Dr. F. A. Fleury commented the next day: “In all we had seventeen medical practitioners at work, including those who came into assist us from outside. There were also a large number of medical students who rendered valuable assistance………The situation was complicated a good deal by the difficulty in getting the injured transported to the ambulance. When the patients were taken from the collapsed shed, they had to be carried across the railway track to the revetment wall and then handed over.” In short, people worked very hard that evening.

The situation at the General Hospital was little different. One newspaper reported that the staff worked “like Trojans” all night and the following day to attend to the needs of their many suddenly-arrived  patients, everything possible being done to relieve their suffering. It was, however, at the General where the only death resulting from the horrible event took place. Nicola Fiorillo, ironically who had just arrived in Montreal from Italy, died from massive head injuries shortly after his admittance to the hospital.

The General Hospital also experienced the disaster in another sense. Three of its doctors were dispatched to the port to assist in any way they could  as a result of the fire. They arrived well before the collapse of the shed. All three doctors were standing near the entrance to it, commenting to one another about the possible danger with so many people gathered on the roof. As someone led them to believe that an injured person was awaiting assistance inside the doomed structure, they gingerly entered it. At that very moment, the trusses gave way. Dr. Simpson being the last of the three was able to spring clear of the debris but Doctors Turner and Wray were struck, the former on the head and the latter on the leg. Both fortunately later recovered.

The Royal Victoria Hospital received six injured individuals, two of whom were in critical condition both suffering from severe spinal injuries. Several other patients willing gave up their beds in order to facilitate the comfort of the five men and one boy who were brought to the doors of that institution.

It is interesting to note that in those somewhat sectarian days no effort at all was made to sort the injured according to their language or religion. Therefore, many English-speaking Protestants were treated at Notre Dame Hospital and an equal number of French-speaking Catholics were received at the General and the Royal Victoria Hospital. No one apparently complained!

Quite naturally, the fire eventually burnt itself out. The next morning – Sunday – thousands of Montrealers streamed to the site to see the charred wreckage of the once magnificent vessel and the collapsed ruins of the now infamous shed. All day long they kept coming to stare at what remained of the double tragedy. The ship itself had been scheduled to be in service between Montreal and Quebec on June 1. Gazing at what remained of it, it seemed hard to believe. The Gazette reported: “Her two yellowish funnels stood high up in the air, but nothing was to be seen of the three decks. What was left seemed to be iron and steel, twisted into fantastic shapes. The steamer looked like a big platform, with a cutwater under it.”

The cause of the fire remained a mystery although there were, according to Chief Benoit, as many as 69 painters working on ‘The Montreal’ that very day. Fresh oil-based paint would have contributed greatly to the rapidity with which the flames spread, he argued.

The three Montreal dailies of the time –The Star, The Gazette, La Presse– all seemed to put their own spin on the dreadful event. The Gazette interpreted the conflagration as “a warning”. “Had the wind been blowing towards the city instead of down the river, several craft in the neighbourhood of “The Montreal” would probably also fallen a prey to the flames. Had it been summer much property on the wharves would have been imperilled.”  The Star argued for the need of fire hydrants on harbour property with the belief that the ones on Commissioners street were just too far away (especially when the gates to the port were locked!) from the scene of the fire. La Presse powerfully headlined the event “EFFROYABLE CATASTROPHE” and, unlike the other two newspapers,  they published in their March 9 edition photos of at least eighteen of the victims. All three dailies did publish extensive lists of the injured and the hospital to which they had been sent. These rolls varied ever so slightly, although La Presse did include five or six names more than  the other two newspapers.

This ghastly occurrence was unlike any other in this city’s history. It taught many lessons with regard to fire fighting in general and security at the Port of Montreal in particular. Had this event taken place in the dryness of a breezy August night, there is no telling what might have happened. It also educated us somewhat about the paramount importance in a situation of this nature of crowd control. Again, had an efficient and effective system been in place, one life and many injuries may have avoided.

Finally, in researching this article, I had hoped to come upon a photo of this vessel which I could have shared with the readers. Unfortunately, I was not successful. If anyone has any suggestion as to where one might be found, I would be very interested in hearing from them.

Killed:

Nicola Fiorillo, age 20, died an hour after arrival at the General Hospital

Injured:

George Thornley, 710 William street

Emile Sauve, 32 years of age, 476 St. Andre street

Leo St. Germain,  27 years of age, 7 Wolfe street

John O’Sullivan, 104 Prince street

James M. Waugh, Pointe St. Charles

Harold Thomas, 12 years of age, address unknown

James Maloney, 334 St. Antoine street

William Bennett, 46 Montcalm street

Max Rutenberg,  45 St. Urbain

Joseph Raymond, 28 Marie Louise street (photo)

John Platt, 3 Mitcheson avenue

John Farrell, 901 St. Catherine

D. Madden, 94 Dorchester

Dominque Marrott, deMontigny street

Albert Olsen, 22 Albert street

George Dozois, 217 City Hall avenue

Colin Campbell, 297 1/2 St. Urbain

Leon Adler, 55 Roy ( first name reported as “Lucien”)

Joe Verner, 536 City Hall avenue

Frank Dufresne, 82b Visitation

Edmond Delfosse, 305 St. Hubert street (photo)

Joseph C. Wray, St. Dominique street (photo)

Russell Brown, 1002 Sherbrooke street

Emil Charest, 668 Dorchester street (photo)

Arthur Bulley, 159 St. Urbain street

Samuel McBride, 84 St. George street

C. H. Massiah, 21 Argyle street

W. Lunan, 107 Mitcheson avenue

Maxime St. Louis, 441 City Hall avenue 

W. Flanigan, 52 Shannon street (photo)

Edmund Burne, 141 St. Dominique street

S. Fleet, 43a Champlain street

Robert Douglas, Blue Bonnets

J. M.Nicholson, Blue Bonnets

Joseph Caisse, 107 St. Hubert street

Grant Gordon, 3566 Notre Dame

Arthur Philion, 106 St. Hubert street

Leonil Sicotte, 36 Shuter street

Charles Laurent, 398 St. Christophe

Pullus Reiter, 140 Bernard street,

Henri Cinq Mars, 83 Vinet street, Ste. Cunegonde

Edouard Lamoignan, 1327a Notre Dame (photo)

Gustave Fauteux, 21 Emery street

William Cotton, St. Paul street

Alderic Sarazin, 231 Quesnel street, Ste. Cunegonde

Thomas Finn, 8 Richmond Square

David Dufault, 168 Sanguinet

Isaac Archorvietch (probably “Archovitch”) 659 Dorchester (photo)

Ernest Choquette, 872 St. Andre

Daniel Alexander, 40 St. Paul

Philias Beaudoin, 67 St. Sulpice (photo)

Ross Brown, Sherbrooke street

Theophile Faucher, captain no. 2 fire station, St. Gabriel street (photo)

Joseph Jeannette, 266b Montcalm street (photo)

Telesphore Tremblay, 47 St. Dominique

Albert Desormeau, Cote des Neiges

Samuel LeHuquet, police constable, 23 Cathcart street (photo)

Alphonse Gamache, Panet street

James Kelly, 104 Dorion

Adelard Lesperance, 687 St. Catherine

Henri Auger, 43 Sanguinet

Antoine Genoie, 67 Champs de Mars

Joseph Ruelle, 63 St. Antoine

Willie Amyot, 549 St. Patrick

Arthur Cardinal

 

©2017 The Past Whispers
All Rights Reserved

Saturday, May 13, 2017

Definition of a Tall Ship

 

The Races are open to any monohull vessel of more than 9.14m water line length, provided that at least 50 percent of the crew is aged between 15 and 25 years old and that the vessel meets Sail Training International’s safety equipment requirements. People of all abilities can take part, even those with mental and physical disabilities. No person under the age of fifteen is allowed on board a vessel during a race, a cruise in company, or any associated events. To take part in the cruise in company, a vessel must also take part in at least one race. Trainees may join for all or part of the race series.


There are four classes of vessel:


Class A
All square – rigged vessels (barque, barquentine, brig, brigantine or ship rigged) and all other vessel more than 40 metres Length Overall (LOA), regardless of rig.


Class B
Traditionally rigged vessels (ie gaff rigged sloops, ketches, yawls and schooners) with an LOA of less than 40 metres and with a waterline length (LWL) of at least 9.14 metres.


Class C
Modern rigged vessels (i.e Bermudan rigged sloops, ketches, yawls and schooners) with an LOA of less than 40 metres and with a waterline length (LWL) of at least 9.14 metres not carrying spinnaker-like sails.



Class D

Modern rigged vessels (i.e Bermudan rigged sloops, ketches, yawls and schooners) with an LOA of less than 40 metres and with a waterline length (LWL) of at least 9.14 metres carrying spinnaker-like sails.

 

 

courtesy- Sail Training International

©2017 The Past Whispers
All Rights Reserved

Monday, May 1, 2017

A To Z Challenge 2017–W is for Tall Ship Wylde Swan

 

WThe hull of Wylde Swan started life as a ‘herring hunter’ in the 1920’s, working off the Shetland Islands – a ship built for speed, ferrying the fresh catch from fishing grounds to the markets ashore. The Jemo, as she was originaly called, was originally built by HDW in Kiel.

The ship was decommissioned sometime in the late 20th century and had changed ownership several times before Willem Slighting saw in her underwater shape the makings of a fast sailing ship. Her sleek underwater hull is now part of a rugged sailing ship, reminiscent of the large schooner yachts of the 1900 era.

Furthermore Wylde Swan has developed her own educational program. Masterskip Wylde Swan is an educational project that has the mission to create an inspiring and demanding environment for students. The trainees have a great time and learn a lot about science, life at sea and the subjects related to the journey. Furthermore the students learn how to cooperate and work in a challenging and active environment, and experience to maintain a positive and creative atmosphere on board.vessel-wylde-swan-3-768x512

The most prestigious award of The Tall Ships Races, Sail Training International’s Friendship Trophy, presented to the vessel who contributes most to international understanding and friendship during the Race Series, was won in 2011 by Dutch vessel Wylde Swan. 

Wylde Swan’s international crew is becoming very familiar with Sail Training International’s prize giving stage as they also won first in Class A for Race Three as well as first in Class A for the entire Race Series. Their winning streak began in Lerwick when they picked-up an award for making the most impact during Cruise-in-Company before going on to win Race Two from Lerwick to Stavanger both in class and on the water. 

The Friendship Trophy was accepted in what has become recognized as true Wylde Swan spirit, singing and dancing all of the way.

 

Class: A

Nationality: Netherlands

Length: 40.90 m

Height: 36.27 m

Rig: Brigantine

Year built: 1920

Home port: Makkhum, Netherlands

 

©2017 The Past Whispers
All Rights Reserved

Sunday, April 30, 2017

A To Z Challenge 2017–V is for Tall Ship Vahine

V
SY Vahine, Nautors Swan 65, is planned by Sparkman & Stevens and is called the most legendary Nautors Swan construction. The legend was created when Sauyula II, won the Whitbread 'around the world' race. The following year 4 Nautors Swan 65 boats were among the five fastest in the race. She is still a very fast boat especially in hard weather, in calmer weather Vahine is too heavy to be among the fastest boats
Vahine (Tahitian for woman) sails with 9 trainees, one mentor and 2 staff. The trainees will sleep in 5 cabins.
Class: C
Nationality: Finland
Length: 19.68 m
Height: 24.28 m
Rig: Bm Ketch
Year built: 1972
Home port: Helsinki
 
©2017 The Past Whispers
All Rights Reserved












Saturday, April 29, 2017

A To Z Challenge 2017–U is for Tall Ship USCGC Eagle



U
USCGC Eagle is the sixth U.S. Coast Guard cutter to bear the name in a proud line dating back to 1792. The ship was built in 1936 by the Blohm and Voss Shipyard in Hamburg, Germany, and commissioned as Horst Wessel. (Five identical sister ships were also built.)
Originally operated by Nazi Germany to train cadets for the German Navy, the ship was taken by the United States as a war prize after World War II. In 1946, a U.S. Coast Guard crew - aided by the German crew still on board - sailed the tall ship from Bremerhaven to its new homeport in New London, Connecticut. Eagle returned to Bremerhaven for the first time since World War II in the summer of 2005, to an enthusiastic welcome.
Built during the twilight era of sail, the design and construction of Eagle embody centuries of development in the shipbuilder's art. The hull is steel four-tenths of an inch thick. There are two full-length steel decks with a platform deck below. The raised forecastle and quarterdeck are made of three-inch thick teak over steel, as are the weather decks.
uscg-eagle-photo-non-officiel
Eagle offers future officers the opportunity to put into practice the navigation, engineering, and other professional theory they have previously learned in the classroom. Upper class trainees exercise leadership and service duties normally handled by junior officers, while underclass trainees fill crew positions of a junior enlisted person, such as helm watches at the huge wooden wheels used to steer the vessel. Everyone who trains on Eagle experiences a character building experience.
On the decks and in the rigging of Eagle, young men and women get a taste of salt air and life at sea and they are tested and challenged, often to the limits of endurance. Working aloft, they meet fear and learn to overcome it. The experience builds character and helps future officers develop skills of leadership and teamwork that prove valuable assets throughout their careers.
Class: Military boat
Length: 89.70m
Rig: Barque 3
Year built: 1936
Home Port: New London, Connecticut (United States)

©2017 The Past Whispers
All Rights Reserved










Friday, April 28, 2017

A To Z Challenge 2017–T is for Tall Ship TS Playfair

 
TToronto Brigantine Inc. operates two brigantines, the sail-training vessels Pathfinder and Playfair. They were both designed and built as sail training vessels for TBI by Francis A. McLachlan in Kingston, Ontario, Canada.

Playfair was built for Toronto Brigantine Inc. as a sail training vessel. She was commissioned by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II in 1973, and remains the only Canadian ship to be commissioned by a reigning monarch.




ts-playfair-photo-non-officielClass: A
Nationality: Canada
Length: 18.23 m
Rig: Brigantine
Year built: 1973
Home port: Toronto

 
©2017 The Past Whispers
All Rights Reserved












Thursday, April 27, 2017

A to Z April Challenge 2017–S is for Tall Ship St. Lawrence II

 

S

St. Lawrence II” was designed in 1952 by Francis MacLachlan and Mike Eames expressly for youth sail training. Gord Workman and Grant MacLachlan were also key figures in the development and initial fund raising of what is today the longest running youth sail training organization in the world.

The hull was built at Kingston Shipyards in 1953 and she was finished by local craftsmen, the Kingston Sea Cadets, and enthusiastic amateurs, many donating their time. Originally attached to the “Royal Canadian Sea Cadets Corps St. Lawrence”, her program was soon opened to other youth groups and now any teen, 13 to 18 years of age, can apply to join her crew for a summer training cruise.st-lawrence-ii-2-canada-photo-non-officiel

In almost half a century afloat, the “St. Lawrence II” has shown her flag from Lake Huron to the north-east Atlantic seaboard, proudly representing Kingston and Canada in a number of exciting Tall Ship gatherings and special maritime events.

Brigantine Inc. is committed to developing character through the adventure af tall ship sailing, and nurturing a sense of responsibility in all youths who serve on the decks of the “St. Lawrence II”.

Class: A

Nationality: Canada

Length: 18.18 m

Height: 16.46 m

Rig: Brigantine

Year built: 1953

Home port: Kingston, Ontario

 

©2017 The Past Whispers
All Rights Reserved

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

A To Z Challenge 2017–R is for Tall Ship Roter Sand

 

R

The Roter Sand is a sailing ship designed for teaching. Since the very beginning, it has been used to train sailors of all ages. Even its construction, from 1995 to 1999, was an opportunity for students specializing in carpentry, welding, engineering, architecture and mechanics to pool their talents, under the supervision of authorities at the Aucoop shipyard in Bremen-Vegesak, Germany. It was then used as a teaching and research vessel in the North Sea and the Wadden Sea, and later for leadership training on the Elbe.

roter-sand-canada-2

A non-profit organization, EcoMaris, brought the Roter Sand to Québec on 6 July 2012, as the first environmentally-oriented training ship in Québec. The goal of the Roter Sand is to give Canadians renewed access to the St Lawrence, restore the bonds between individuals and the environment and help rebuild Québec’s maritime culture. Hundreds of budding sailors of all ages will explore the environment of the St Lawrence as they learn to navigate its challenging waters!

Class: B

Nationality: Canada

Length: 19.90 m

Rig: Gaff Ketch

Year built: 1999

Home port: Rimouski

 

©2017 The Past Whispers
All Rights Reserved

Monday, April 24, 2017

A To A Challenge 2017 – Nautical Terms Beginning with Q

 

  • Queen's (King's) Regulations – The standing orders governing the Royal Navy of UK issued in the name of the current Monarch.
  • Quarterdeck – The aftermost deck of a warship. In the age of sail, the quarterdeck was the preserve of the ship's officers.
  • Quayside – Refers to the dock or platform used to fasten a vessel to.
  •  

     

    ©2017 The Past Whispers
    All Rights Reserved

    Sunday, April 23, 2017

    A To Z Challenge 2017–P is for Tall Ship Picton Castle

     

    P

    Picton Castle was one of five similar trawlers built by Cochrane’s in Selby, all named after British castles. (The actual Picton Castle in Wales is still standing). The other ‘castle’ ships have all been taken out of service.

    Picton Castle went through World War II as a mine sweeper in the British Royal Navy. In 1955, she was sold to Norwegian owners and overhauled to be powered by a diesel engine and other auxiliary engines. Under the name Dolmar, she freighted up and down the Norwegian coast for years, going as far as Russia and Portugal. She was taken out of service in the late 1980’s when railroads made her uneconomical.

     

    picton-castle-1-iles-cook

     

     

     

     

     

    The captain, Dan Moreland, bought her in 1993 in Vedevegan, Norway, had her checked out, repainted and readied for the transatlantic trip and with a small crew, motored her across the Atlantic in April 1994. For two years she was docked at South Street Seaport in New York, as the Windward Isles Sailing Ship Company was formed and funds were invested to transform this ship into a beautiful square-rigger.

    During 1996 to 1997, she was brought to Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, home of the traditional fishing schooner fleet off the Grand Banks. There she was completely overhauled and refitted as a sailing vessel, and once again named Picton Castle. Her inaugural global voyage as a sailing vessel began on 25 November 1997 in Lunenburg and ended at the same port in June 1999. She carries 12 to 16 professional crew and 26 to 30 paying amateur crew.

    Class: A

    Nationality: Cook Islands

    Length: 45.23 m

    Height: 27.28 m

    Rig: Barque 3

    Year built: 1928

    Home port: Lunenburg, Canada

     

    ©2017 The Past Whispers
    All Rights Reserved

    Saturday, April 22, 2017

    A To Z Challenge 2017 – O is for Tall Ship Oosterschelde

     

    O

    Oosterschelde was built in the Netherlands in 1918 at the order of the Rotterdam shipping company HAAS and is the last remaining representative of the large fleet of schooners that sailed under the Dutch flag at the beginning of the 20th century. Her name is derived from the eastern part of the Schelde river that flows from France through Belgium and the Netherlands to the sea and Oosterschelde is the largest restored Dutch sailing ship, which is a monument for Dutch shipbuilding and maritime navigation under sail.

    As a freighter Oosterschelde carried some hundred tons of cargo including bricks, herring and bananas. In 1921, the ship was sold, changing hands three times and converted to a motor-sailer before being bought in 1988 and restored to her former glory.

    oosterschelde-pays-basThe Rotterdam Sailing Ship Foundation was instituted to support restoration through fund raising and began work in 1990. The ship was officially launched in 1992 by Her Royal Highness Princess Margriet.

    In 2000, Oosterschelde raced from Boston to Amsterdam in the Tall Ships 2000 race.

    Class: A

    Nationality: Netherlands

    Length: 40.12 m

    Height: 31.09 m

    Rig: Topsail Schooner 3

    Year built: 1918

    Home port: Rotterdam

    Rendez – Vous 2017

     

    ©2017 The Past Whispers
    All Rights Reserved

    Friday, April 21, 2017

    A To Z Challenge 2017– N is for Niagra-On-The-Lake


    Tall Ships Regatta

    From Monday, July 3rd 2017 11:00 AM to Tuesday, July 4th 2017 5:00 PMRendez-Vous 2017  Tall Ships Regatta visits NOTL at Riverbeach Road dock area.
    For more information please click
    here




    ©2017 The Past Whispers
    All Rights Reserved

    Thursday, April 20, 2017

    A To Z Challenge 2017–M is for Tall Ship Mist of Avalon

     

    M

    The ship began her life in 1967 as the Motor Vessel “Liverpool Bay”. She was built by the strong native timber and the skilled hands of the shipwrights of MacLean Shipbuilding, Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada. Her Captain and crew worked the Banks off Nova Scotia and Newfoundland, fishing for thecod that were her reason for being. After twenty years working in the harsh environment of the North Atlantic, with fish stocks declining and her machinery and equipment well past their prime, in 1987 this once proud vessel was left abandoned at a Halifax pier. Another five years of neglect added to her decline, but under the layers of paint and algae, behind the rotting timber and planks, was a gracious schooner hull waiting to return to sea.

    mist-of-avalon-canada-photo-non-officiel

    In December 1992 began the ship’s new life as “Mist of Avalon”, named for the mystic Celtic island of re-birth. The Ship was purchased, hauled out, hull scraped and anti fouled.In July 1993, she was ready to leave Nova Scotia for her new home port at Holidays Afloat Marina in Ivy Lea, Ontario, Canada. Here, work continued on the conversion from motor vessel to a fully rigged sailing vessel in the tradition of the late 19th century Grand Banks schooners.

    Class: B

    Nationality: Canada

    Length: 22.08 m

    Rig: Gaff Schooner 2

    Year of built: 1967

    Home port: Ivy Lea, Ontario

     

    ©2017 The Past Whispers
    All Rights Reserved

    Wednesday, April 19, 2017

    A To Z Challenge 2017–L is for Tall Ship Lord Nelson

     

    L

    Owned by the Jubilee Sailing Trust, LORD NELSON, named after the famous British Admiral is the first of their two vessels, both of which are the only tall ships in the world that have been purpose designed and built to enable able-bodied and physically disabled people to sail side by side and share the adventure and experience of tall ship sailing as equals.

    The Trust commissioned Colin Mudie to design their first sailing ship in which physically disabled people comprised half the crew. Requirements included wheelchair access throughout the ship, light hauling loads on the ropes and better than usual protection against the cold and wet.

     

    lord-nelson-royaume-uni

    The three masted square-rigged, LORD NELSON was the result. Her many special facilities enable disabled crewmembers to take an active part in the running of the ship. These facilities include wide decks for wheelchair users, a speaking compass to enable blind people to helm the ship, power assisted hydraulic steering for those with limited strength and much more. Overall, LORD NELSON has been designed to the needs of most disabilities and is capable of sailing in any sea around the world.

    The Jubilee Sailing Trust has been in operation for over three decades and in that time has taken over 30,000 people to sea including 12,000 people with physical disabilities and 5,000 wheelchair users.

    Lord Nelson along with the JST’s other ship TENACIOUS are regular participants in the Tall Ships Races.

    Class: A

    Nationality: United Kingdom

    Length: 40.20 m

    Height: 33.60 m

    Rig: Barque 3

    Year built: 1985

    Home port: Southampton, United Kingdom

     

    ©2017 The Past Whispers
    All Rights Reserved

    Tuesday, April 18, 2017

    A To Z April Challenge 2017 – K is for Knot

     

     

    K

    Knot - 1. a unit of wind or sailing speed, one knot=6,076 feet per hour, one nautical mile per hour. 10 knots is equivalent to 11.5 mph and 18 kilometers per hour (kph). (Note: The expression "knots per hour" is incorrect since that would be redundant and describe acceleration not speed; knots per hour per hour.)  

    2. In general, all complications tied in cordage where one line or part of a line passes over or around and/or through another, except accidental ones, such as tangles, snarls and kinks, and complications adapted to storage, such as coils, hanks, skeins, balls, etc. In a narrower sense, knots do not include bends, hitches, splices, and sinnetts. In the narrowest sense, only knobs, intended to stop fraying or unreeving of a line or add a handhold, are knots. 

    • Bowline. The bowline almost defines sailing because of its versatility, usefulness, and strength. ...
    • Round Turn and Two Half Hitches. ...
    • Cleat Hitch. this knot has one and only purpose but that is a mighty one; Securing a line to a cleat. ...
    • Rolling Hitch
    • Sheet Bend
    • Square Knot
    • Figure Eight
    • Trucker's Hitch

     

    ©2017 The Past Whispers
    All Rights Reserved

    Sunday, April 16, 2017

    A To Z Challenge 2017 – J is for Tall Ship Jolie Brise

     
    JJolie Brise is the truly world famous, 24 metre, Gaff Rigged Pilot Cutter.  Built in 1913, some of her many claims to fame include: three times overall winner of the Fastnet Race; daring rescue of the crew of the Adriana in the 1932 Newport-Bermuda race; was the last sailing vessel to carry the Royal Mail under sail; overall winner of Tall Ships Races 1980; overall winner of Tall Ships 2000 Transatlantic Race programme; overall winner Tall Ships Races 2008; overall winner Tall Ships Races 2011, 2015 and 2016.  She has been operated, maintained and owned by Dauntsey's School since 1977.



    jolie-brise-5-royaume-uni
    Over the last 49 years, with Dauntsey's students she has sailed 200 miles inside the Arctic Circle; has travelled as far East as St Petersburg in Russia; as far South as Western Sahara and as far West as South Carolina, and has covered in excess of 175,000 nautical miles.
     
     

    Going Transatlantic

    In 2017,  Jolie Brise will be taking part in the International Rendez-vous 2017 Tall Ships Regatta – a 7,000 nautical mile transatlantic race visiting Portugal, Bermuda, America, Canada and France.
    Rendez-vous 2017 Tall Ships Regatta is a maritime celebration that offers all participants a unique chance to embark on this great adventure, whilst commemorating the rich history of sailing in Canada and around the world. This epic event marks the 150th anniversary of the Canadian Confederation through its founders and founding provinces.


    Class: B
    Nationality: United Kingdom
    Length: 17.10 m
    Height: 20.28 m
    Rig: Gaff Cutter
    Year built: 1913
    Home port: Hamble

    ©2017 The Past Whispers
    All Rights Reserved













    Friday, April 14, 2017

    A To Z Challenge 2017–I is for Iles-de-la-Madeleine

     

    Magdalen Islands is one of two municipalities forming the urban agglomeration of Magdalen Islands in Quebec, Canada. It is part of the Gaspésie–Îles-de-la-Madeleine region and the population is 12,291 as of the Canada 2011 Census.

    As part of a municipal reorganization across Quebec, the seven communities of the Magdalen Islands amalgamated to form the municipality of Magdalen Islands on January 1, 2002. 

    Grindstone (Cap-aux-Meules)

    Located on Grindstone Island (Île du Cap aux Meules in French), Grindstone was settled as early as the 19th century. Before the 2002 amalgamation, it was the Magdalen Islands' smallest community in land area, but because of its location at the centre of the archipelago, it has become the most important business centre of the islands and, as such, was named "Capital of the Islands." The ferry servicing Cap-aux-Meules to Souris, Prince Edward Island constitutes the archipelago's only port of entry by sea.

    The name of the community is associated to the grindstone quarry located on the island. Its population as of 2006, was 1,685.

    Fatima

    Also located on Grindstone Island, Fatima was settled between 1820 and 1845. It is named after Fátima in Portugal, a pilgrimage site highly visited after three young shepherds claimed the Holy Virgin appeared to them. Its population, as of 2006, was 2,809.

    Grande-Entrée

    Separated from the rest of Magdalen Islands by the municipality of Grosse-Île, Grande-Entrée is located on Grand Entry Island, named after the two headlands facing each other and creating a bay safe for boats and ships to harbour. Scots settled on the island at the end of the 18th century.

    House Harbour

    Havre-aux-Maisons

    The first settlers came to Havre-aux-Maisons, located on House Harbour Island (Île du Havre aux Maisons in French), in 1765 from Acadia. The island was first known as Allright Island, then Alwright, and then Saunders, after sir Charles Saunders, a British admiral who accompanied General James Wolfe to Quebec City in 1759. The harbour between Grindstone and House Harbour islands was already known in 1756 as Harbour Maison. Since nobody lived on the island before 1765, the singular form for Maison could be attributed to the ruins of a habitation built by early Basque visitors and found by French explorers in 1663. Its population, as of 2006, was 2,078.

    Îles-de-la-Madeleine Airport, Magdalen Islands' only port of entry by air, is located at Havre-aux-Maisons.

    The hamlet of Dune-du-Sud, northeast of Havre-aux-Maisons, is a Hydro-Québec experimentation site to assess power lines' resistance to high winds. In 1993, it built a vertical-axis windmill, but the project did not go further past the experimental level. The windmill is now purely decorative.

    L'Étang-du-Nord

    L'Étang-du-Nord is composed of several hamlets running along the eastern coast of Grindstone Island, a few kilometres away from Cap-aux-Meules. Main fishing centre of the archipelago, the coast was settled around 1830. The community hosts a campus of Cégep de la Gaspésie et des Îles, the Magdalen Islands' only post-secondary institution. Population as of 2006, 3,126.

    Amherst

    Havre-Aubert.

    Amherst is composed of three distinct hamlets, Havre-Aubert and Bassin (both on Amherst Island, Île du Havre Aubert in French) and L'Île-d'Entrée, on Entry Island (Île d'Entrée in French). Population as of 2006, 2,238.

    Amherst Island's first settlers arrived in 1762 from Acadia, Prince Edward Island and the Chaleur Bay. A municipality, Havre-Aubert, was constituted in 1875 and changed its name to Bassin in 1959. Another municipality, Havre-Aubert-Est, was constituted in 1951 and changed its name to Havre-Aubert in 1964. Both amalgamated in 1971 and took the name of L'Île-du-Havre-Aubert. The island is a member of the Most Beautiful Villages of Quebec.

    Historians do not agree on where the name "Havre-Aubert" is originating. Some suggested the name of an obscure friend of Jacques Cartier, while others brought up Thomas Aubert, a sailor from Dieppe and one of the Americas' first explorers, or François Aubert de La Chesnaye, who would have supported the colonization efforts of New France, as likely explications. Some have mentioned a family of sailors named "Auber" and other hypotheses include French explorer Jean-François Roberval, who would have stayed on the island in 1542, to name it "Havre au Ber," "ber" meaning in this case "berceau" (cradle in English, while "havre" is French for harbour). Roberval's child was still a baby at the time. However "ber" is also a marine term designating the wood structure on which a boat lies during construction or reparation. Meanwhile, an anonymous British map of the area in 1756 named it Harbour Ober and the post office, opened in 1899, bore the name "Amherst Island" until 1907.

    In 2000, a new municipality named L'Île-du-Havre-Aubert was constituted following the amalgamation of L'Île-du-Havre-Aubert and the village of L'Île-d'Entrée. Entry Island is the only inhabited island part of the Magdalen Islands unconnected to the rest of the archipelago by land. It is located five kilometres east of Amherst Island and it is one of the three English-speaking centres of the archipelago. It saw its first inhabitants in the early 19th century: Scottish people from Grosse-Île and Nova Scotia settlers .

    Entry Island owes its name to the fact that it is located at the southeast entrance of the archipelago. A ferry service exists between Entry Island and the village of Grindstone.

     

    Rendez-Vous 2017 will be in this port July 7, 2017 – July 9, 2017

     

    ©2017 The Past Whispers
    All Rights Reserved

    Wednesday, April 12, 2017

    A To Z Challenge 2017–H is for Havre-Saint-Pierre

     

    HHavre-Saint-Pierre is a town situated on Pointe-aux-Esquimaux, which is on the Quebec north shore (Côte-Nord) of the Saint Lawrence River in Canada. Located along Route 138 some 200 kilometres (120 mi) east of Sept-Îles, it is the largest town and seat of the Minganie RCM, and home to many government, municipal, and regional services.

    Historically, the town's first inhabitants came from the Magdalen Islands in the nineteenth century. As a result, the people of the town speak a dialect much more closely related to Acadian French than to Quebec French.

    Other important geological features near the town include the Romaine River to the north and west, les Chutes Manitou, on the Manitou River to the west, l'Ile du Havre, less than a kilometre offshore from the town, and Anticosti Island, which on clear days can be seen to the south of the town.

    In 1857, a group of Acadian families from the Magdalen Islands, who had previously been deported from Savannah (Georgia, USA), settled on Eskimo Point (Pointe aux Esquimaux). The first mass was held on June 29, 1857, day of the feast of Saint Peter. In 1872, the Parish of Saint-Pierre-de-la-Pointe-aux-Esquimaux was officially established, the same year its post office opened under the name Esquimaux Point.

    In 1873, the place was incorporated as a municipality. In 1924, the post office changed its name to Havre-Saint-Pierre, followed by the town in 1927, in order to focus on the harbor, which characterizes the area, while retaining the original parish name. It remained the largest town on the North Shore until 1936 when it was overtaken by Baie-Comeau.

    Havre-Saint-Pierre will be the host city for Rendez-Vous 2017 from July 7, 2017 to July 9, 2017

     

    ©2017 The Past Whispers
    All Rights Reserved

    Sunday, April 9, 2017

    A To Z Challenge 2017–G is for Tall Ship Golden Leeuw

      G

    The Gulden Leeuw is a big, sturdy sailing ship reminiscent of the 30’s and with the deck layout of a classic yacht.

    This ship was built in 1937 on behalf of the Danish Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries. The DANA was designed and built as an ocean-going ice class ship. During her period of service for the Danish government, she was frequently used for marine biological research, not only in Danish waters but also in international ones. The ship has a rich history. She sailed as a researcher, supplier and even as a training ship for a Danish nautical college.

     

    gulden-leeuw-2-pays-bas

    In the past two years the ship has been converted into a three-masted topsail schooner, so the foremast is also yard-rigged. This very versatile rigging combines the advantages of a square-sailed ship and a fore-and-aft rigged ship.

    The ‘Gulden Leeuw’ offers space for up to 200 passengers on day sails and for 56 trainees on longer voyages. We are passionate about sail training and are eager to ‘show you the ropes’. On board our ship we appreciate team spirit.

    The ship has a luxurious flair and is therefore also very suitable for corporate hospitality, seminars and daytrips.

    Class: A

    Nationality: Netherlands

    Length: 68 m

    Height: 39.33 m

    Rig: Gaff Schooner 3

    Year built: 1937

    Home port: Kampen, Netherlands

     

    ©2017 The Past Whispers
    All Rights Reserved

    Friday, April 7, 2017

    A To Z Challenge 2017–F is for Tall Ship Fair Jeanne


    F

    Tall Ship Fair Jeanne is a Canadian sail training ship built and registered in Ottawa, Ontario. She is operated by the Ottawa-based youth charity, Bytown Brigantine Inc. Fair Jeanne is a 110 ft traditionally-rigged brigantine of composite construction, outfitted with a Detroit Diesel auxiliary propulsion system. Fair Jeanne sails mostly on the Great Lakes, particularly Lake Ontario, and is berthed in Kingston, Ontario during the summer months.

    fair-jeanne-canada
    While Fair Jeanne's summer port is Kingston, she was built by the Fuller family in the backyard of their Ottawa home. Fair Jeanne began life as the family's private yacht, cruising the world’s oceans for more than 10 years. 

    Today, however, Fair Jeanne sails for a different cause and is leased to the not-for-profit youth charity Bytown Brigantine, which uses her and her sister ship STV Black Jack for youth sail training. In addition to summer youth voyages, Fair Jeanne also does fall and spring group trips for organizations such as the Royal Canadian Sea Cadets, Girl Guides of Canada and corporate groups. The Fair Jeanne also offers trips for people who are working towards The Duke of Edinburgh's Awards.

    The Fair Jeanne will sail in Rendez-Vous 2017 to celebrate the 150th Confederation of Canada.

    Class: A
    Nationality: Canada
    Length: 33.53 m
    Height: 24.39 m
    Rig: Birgantine
    Year built: 1982
     
    ©2017 The Past Whispers
    All Rights Reserved