|Convent St. Joseph|
Most of my maternal grand-fathers line came from Saint-Hyacinthe. Many were baptized, married, and interred there belonging to Notre Dame du Rosaire church.
|Notre Dame du Rosaire|
1748 - Seigniory (St. Hyacinthe) Granted Sept. 23, 1748, to Sieur F. Rigaud, seigneur de Vaudreuil.
1772 - Église Saint-Matthieu established at Saint-Hyacinthe.
1831 - In 1831, the village of Saint-Hyacinthe had a population of around a thousand people. It contained an important seminary where the sons of some Patriote leaders, including Papineau, studied.
1848 - December 26 - Rail - First train runs between Longueuil and St-Hyacinthe, Québec.
1853 - Cathédrale Saint-Hyacinthe-le-Confesseur established at Saint-Hyacinthe.
1854 - Destructive Fire in Lower Canada Montreal, Wednesday, May 17.
The village of St. Hyacinthe was almost wholly destroyed by fire to-day.
1876 St. Hyacinthe, Sept. 3. - A fire broke out in the western end of this city at 1:30 P. M. to-day, and , fanned by a high wind, soon totally swept the lower part of the city out of existence. The flames ran down both sides of Main street, taking in their course the St. Hyancinthe, Quebec, and National Banks, the Post Office, market, Court-house, factories, and over eighty wholesale and retail stores. At 3 PO. M. the fire had spread, by means of burning cinders, to the three parallel streets, and burned everything up. The people had no time to save anything, and at 7 P. M. 600 houses had been burned. A steam fire engine arrived from Montreal by special train at 5:30 P. M., but was too late to be of much service. Hundreds of families are homeless and without food. The loss is roughly estimated at $2,000,000. The Royal, Stadacona, Quebec, Providencial, and Royal Canadian Insurance Companies are heavily interested.
1903 - FIRE DESTROYS 250 HOUSES. One-fourth of the Population of St. Hyacinthe, Quebec, Left Homeless.
ST. HYACINTHE, Quebec, May 20.- A fire which started shortly after noon to-day in the shoe factory of the Cote Brothers, destroyed half a dozen flourishing industries and 250 houses, leaving nearly a quarter of the city's population homeless. The loss is placed at $400,000. Nobody knows how the fire started. When it was first noticed it had secured a firm hold upon the Cote factory. The wind was blowing half a gale at the time, and the buildings in the immediate vicinity were of such a character as to fall easy prey to the flames. The local Fire Department did its best, but the water pressure was poor, and it was not long before the fire had gotten entirely beyond its control. Word was wired to Montreal for help, and two steamers and a supply of hose made the run of thirty-six miles in forty-four minutes.
Their coming was opportune, for by this time the fire had worked its way up to St. Antoine Street, and was attacking the finest business blocks of the town situated on the market square. Through the efforts of the Montreal men the market building and the buildings on the same side of the square were saved.
The burned district is practically the same as that destroyed in 1876.
1938 - FIRE DEATH TOLL MAY REACH FIFTY. 19 KNOWN DEAD IN SCHOOL RUINS, 26 ON LIST OF 'UNREPORTED.'
St. Hyacinthe, Que., Jan. 19 (Canadian Press) - Two blackened skulls were found today in the frozen ashes of the burned college of the Sacred Heart, raising to 19 the total of known dead in the fire that destroyed the school for boys early yesterday.
It was feared the death list might reach 50. Twenty-six teaching brothers and students were listed as "unreported." Five of 21 injured, pronounced close to death, had last rites of the church administered to them in St. Charles Hospital.
Searching crews poking through the wreckage of the four-story college found the two skulls, unrecognizable as were most of the 16 bodies previously removed.
JEAN MARCEL PHENIX, 12-year-old pupil who leaped from the roof of the college when it collapsed, told today of the heroism of a teacher who lost his life to save a group of boys.
Brother PAUL ARMAND, born EDWARD DAUPHENAIS, whose family lives at Woonsocket, R. I., was in charge of the dormitory of "Les Petits" - the lower-form boys. The teacher herded the youngsters to one wing of the building and persuaded several to jump. The roof collapsed as he tried to get the others to follow Brother PAUL ARMAND and five or six of the pupils were plunged into the inferno.
City of Saint - Hyacinthe is 199.8 km (2 hrs. 5 min.) from Quebec City.